Light Up A Life

On a recent trip to Uganda we were concerned for the number of families in our network who are still using kerosene (paraffin) lamps. We came home resolved to raise funds so that each of the nineteen families can have at least one solar lantern, but more if possible, as many families are large. Friday October 18th “Light Up A Life” night promises be a night to make a big difference and be lots of fun for OKM supporters.

Kerosene lamps are homemade from tin cans. They are filled and re-filled with kerosene, with a wick inserted through a hole at

the top, that is lit. With their naked flames, these lights are inefficient, dangerous, costly and have extensive health and environmental drawbacks.

The World Bank estimates that breathing kerosene fumes is the equivalent of smoking two packets of cigarettes a day and note that two-thirds of adult females with lung cancer in developing nations are non-smokers.

Sitting right on the Equator, as Uganda does, means that darkness falls around six o’clock and there is very little twilight. Within minutes it becomes pitch dark. The children need light to study longer hours and there are household chores that require evening light in the homes.

Many house fires happen due to leaking lamps or accidentally knocked over lamps. Several litres of kerosene can be used per week eating up the families income from their small businesses.

Solar lanterns are available in-country and are made with a robust casing and an outlet that can charge mobile phones for about £35 ($50). Smaller lights without the phone charger can be supplied for about £10 ($16).

Join us, or donate now and  Light Up A Life!

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.